Monday, December 30, 2013

Welcome Lydia Jean! (a little earlier than expected)

Proverbs 19:21 says "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."  Joel thought that was a fitting verse for today!

So much for that January 15 birthday we were planning on... Lydia Jean Korkki arrived the morning of December 30th at 9:39 weighing in at 6 pounds 8 ounces, and 19 inches long.


When my water broke at 4 am I have to say I wasn't exactly thrilled.  I had just been telling Joel the night before how much we still had to do. I couldn't wait to get through my next few days of work and have 10 days off before our baby's arrival to get everything ready. For those who don't know...we were trying to finish up a renovation of our main bathroom before baby.  Joel was going to spend New Year's Day tiling the bathroom! I had looked over the days we had left and had a plan for how to accomplish what was left, booked my hair appointment, and went to bed feeling at least somewhat in control.  

Then came that lovely 4 am wake up call and I was not at all in control! There may have been some yelling (NO NO NO).  Definitely some tears.  Then some major denial. Joel kept asking when I was going to call the birth center while I was putting away laundry, emptying the dish drain,and.....straightened my hair.  If I just kept busy and ignored this maybe it wasn't happening. All that leaking fluid could be something else, right?  

I already felt like I had to give up so much when we found out about her diagnosis in August.  I didn't want to give up my new plan for how she started life. If she came today, my parents wouldn't be here, she wouldn't have the doctors and surgeons that we had met with previously, and she wouldn't have a January birthday with her cousins which I was really excited about. Couldn't just one thing go according to my plan?

I finally had to remind myself that God wasn't surprised by this.  Just like I knew he wasn't surprised by her diagnosis of spina bifida in August.  That is why I have to trust Him.  I didn't get there right away- there were quite a few tears first- I am human after all....and this morning I was a pregnant human....having contractions I thought I was going to skip! But God knew that my plans weren't going to work out. He had already worked out who would be around to care, comfort, and encourage all 3 of us. 

We are so thankful for all the messages, texts, and prayers sent our way. We know all 3 of us are very loved. We ask for your continued prayers as Lydia is scheduled for surgery to correct her spinal defect, tomorrow, December 31, at approximately 11 am.  

Thanks for standing with us,
Love Joel, Amy, and Lydia

7 comments:

  1. Much love and prayers at this moment!
    Chris and Angie Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our prayers continue for all of you. What a beautiful daughter you have. God's mighty blessings on all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you this morning - it's 11am or so. I can relate in many ways to that desire to want to be in control - your post put tears in my eyes as I felt your pain of letting go. Thanks for keeping us posted and be encouraged that you are not alone. Marie Petersen (neighbors/friends Dennis and Penny)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy your post made me smile. Imagine a nurse frustrated that she is not in control. I don't know that problem myself. We are praying for all of you. We know God is in control and his grace will shine at this time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Amy. Praying for you three. She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Lil Lovely Lydia! Praying for sweet family as beautiful Jesus gives you strength, hope, and His overwhelming love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hush Lil Lydia, He's with you, The Word,
    Your Heavenly Father, for you, Mom, and Dad, will indeed undergird.
    And if you should ever cry or fear,
    Your dear Divine Dad will gently wipe away every tear.
    And if, lil Lamb, you should ever stray
    Know Your Shepherd holds you close each and every day.
    And as you persist in His love and grace
    Yes, expectantly each day, you will see beauty in His face!
    So hush, lil Lydia, He's here today!
    He's here, He's here, and to Him we pray!

    ReplyDelete