Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!

Well this was not how we anticipated spending New Year's Day... but Joel and I both agree it has been pretty sweet. We are both extremely tired... as you can see in our first family photo since the operating room.  Lydia is exercising her lungs, which we were happy to hear. Amazing how two days with this little bundle has completely changed our definition of what a good day is!

Lydia had surgery on her spine yesterday afternoon.  She came through surgery beautifully.  It was horrible to watch her fight and pull at her breathing tube as she began waking up.  So we were extremely grateful when she was stable enough to have it pulled at 1:00 this morning.  I couldn't sleep until I knew it was out! Later that morning we got more good news as they decided I could hold Lydia and feed her.  I hadn't been able to do either since she was born and it was killing me.  I started crying as soon as the RN started to put her in my lap. Lydia ate like a champ. She kind of seemed to give me a look after that said, "What took you so long? These cheeks aren't going to stay plump all by themselves!"  Sorry, Baby Girl... It wasn't fun for me to make you wait either!  We are both glad those restrictions are over!

There have been lots of questions from Lydia's fans (I told her she has lots of them) as to how long we will be here.  We don't know the exact answer to that yet.  Her operative site on her back still needs to heal some more and and she'll need intravenous antibiotics until then to reduce the risk of infection to that site. For the next few days she can't be on her back at all as nothing can put even the slightest amount of pressure on her incision. They are continuing to measure her head every day to make sure she isn't accumulating fluid around her brain. This can sometime happen after the surgery she's had on her spine.  Some of the nerves impacted by her spinal defect can affect her ability to urinate on her own. She's had some trouble with that so we aren't sure if its related to recovering from surgery or if this is because of the nerves affected. Then there is the matter of her eating.  While she was a champ this morning, we've had only limited success since then.  They said this could be due to her still recovering from surgery and being extra sleepy today. However, if she doesn't pick up the pace she may end up with a feeding tube down her nose.  

Our specific prayer requests would be:
1. That the incision on Lydia's back heals well and does not become infected.

2. That Lydia's head measurements remain normal and she doesn't develop hydrocephalus 
    (fluid accumulating in her brain).

3. That Lydia would be able to urinate on her own consistently.

4. That Lydia would get the hang of breastfeeding so we don't have to resort to other interventions.

5. That Joel and I would be able to rest well despite a hectic hospital schedule full of interruptions, so we can      be our best for Lydia and get her home!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your prayers and support.  I am absolutely overwhelmed - in the best possible way - by all the people following Lydia's progress and showing their love and concern for her.  I am blessed beyond words.  Please know that I read and appreciate every fb message, blog comment, email and text. They help me through the day.  I wish I could respond to every single one and let you know how thankful I am.  I am unable to do that now with all that I have going on. Just want you all to know I don't take any of you for granted.  

Much love and gratitude,
Amy, Joel, and Lydia

14 comments:

  1. You are such a beautiful family!!! Prayers are going your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little one is just absolutely adorable! I cannot wait to see the girl she grows up to be!! I am sooooooo glad she is doing well and I love reading the updates. Prayers are being sent your way! I only wish the best for you three!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! such glorious news!! prayers for all you have listed. Welcome Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers continue from this corner of Iowa - so thankful for the good reports from Day 2. Since it was just Andi's birthday - every birthday we tell her birth story - Lydia's birth story is already amazing!!, you might have to tell it to her in chapters :). I'll be praying for good sleep - and limited or no baby blues - you don't need that in addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, Lydia is beautiful. I am praying often with expectancy. May Christ truly increase your rest in Him every every every moment! Beautiful sufficient satisfying Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy--I have been praying! Glad to get this update today.

    Amy Medina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy - prayers from Colorado Springs and the Copleys for all that you have listed. Your blogs are such a beautiful testimony of your love, honesty and dependency on our loving Father. He has made each of you, and now the newest, Lydia Jean, perfectly for His glory. Enjoy all the precious moments. You are a super mom! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much rejoicing with you that surgery went well. Praising the Lord with you. We will continue to lift up all your requests to Him who knows it all already. I told Jordyn about your situation and prayer request and asked her if she remembered u..yes! She said you gave her a nurse outfit for dress up...u were our best sitter...best mama now:)..much love
    Angie Carey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work with your Dad Harry and became aware of your prayer requests today, and gladly lifted them to the Lord. Your words and pictures here are a wonderful testimony and I also prayed that God gives you continued strength to persevere through this time (which is tough enough even when all is healthy, as I can attest being a dad to a four month old). Peace and blessings, Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know your Mom and Dad Amy, as I graduated with them. I am keeping all of your in my prayers and know that God has you all in His healing, comforting hands! Your beautiful daughter has already touched so many lives. Try and rest, knowing that God has everything in control - I know that is so hard to do, but you need your rest too. God Bless you all!!! Love is being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, we are praying for your sweet little family! So glad that Lydia is here, and you are able to start enjoying her! Praying for strength in the days and weeks ahead. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amy, just heard from Nicole B. that Lydia is here! She is so beautiful. I am so happy that the surgery went well and am keeping all of you in my prayers. Much love to all the Korkkis!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Amy, We were on vacation and when I got back I saw your mom's email. From the moment I read about this I have been praying for sweet beautiful baby Lydia, Joel and you. I am confident that God has sent you a treasure in Lydia, and through her, you will find the richness of God's truth, joy and love <3

    ReplyDelete